Benefits for Municipalities
For many cities with budgets already strained by police responding to tens of thousands of false alarms every year*, video verified alarms represent an opportunity to economize response resources and enhance public safety by dispatching police to verified crimes-in-progress.
Confronted with continuing false alarm issues, many cities across the US have moved to alarm ordinances that provision higher priority police response for alarms that can be remotely verified with video (what the Videofied system accomplishes). The following are examples of alarm ordinances pertaining to verified alarms and police response:
- Los Angeles, CA: “A verified burglar alarm shall be dispatched as a high priority call. Officers shall be provided information on how the activation was verified.”
- Detroit, MI: “A verified response means that an alarm company verifies that an alarm is one of the 2% of true alarms, before contacting DPD. Once the alarm company verifies the alarm, DPD will dispatch officers to the location.”
- Grand Prairie, TX: “…responses to video alarms will be given a higher priority as these new alarm systems utilize technology to increase efficiency of available resources.”
- Washoe County, NV: “Burglary Alarm Crime in Progress means a burglar Alarm Dispatch Request reported by a Monitoring Company that indicates a crime is in progress based upon an audio, video or similar verification device installed at the Alarm Site.”
- Akron, OH: “Intrusion alarms will have to be verified before officers will be dispatched.”
* 1. Wichita, KS: 18,461 alarm calls in 2013, 96.4% (17,802) of which were false (Source); 2. Cleveland, OH: 23,289 false alarms in 2013, 98% of all alarm calls, costing taxpayers about $750,000 (Source); 3. San Jose, CA: In 2010, over 98% of alarms were false, costing the city $662,000 (Source)
Benefits for Property Owners
The benefits of a Key Witness system for commercial and residential customers begin at installation; wireless installs are fast and cost effective. As an upgrade to existing burglar alarms, Key Witness smoothly integrates to the current burglar alarm to enhance an existing system with video for faster police response. For new installs, Videofied offers a complete standalone system with keypads, sirens, door contacts and other peripherals. Wireless installation, cost effective, faster police.
- Wireless Videofied sensors can be installed wherever sensors/cameras are needed.
- Video verification of a burglary means faster police response to a crime.
- The sooner law enforcement arrives on scene, the less time intruders have to inflict injury, steal or damage property.
- Faster response times lead to more arrests and lower insurance claims.
- No wires to cut. Reliable wireless performance means that even if the MotionViewer is removed by an intruder, it can continue transmitting video for police response.
Benefits for Law Enforcement
Video-verified alarms provide immediate and actionable information for greater situational awareness, officer safety and more arrests. The monitoring station operator is a virtual eyewitness to the event. As a result, Videofied is the only security system ever endorsed by any national law enforcement association, for reasons that include:
- Better use of department resources by preventing dispatches to false alarms.
- Greater safety for the responding officer aware that an actual intruder is present.
- More effective dispatch policies prioritize crimes-in-progress over standard (non-verified) burglar alarms
- Higher arrest rates mean a safer community and lower crime rates.
- Hear from a veteran police chief on the benefits of video alarms
Click here to talk with us about how you can put the priority response benefits of a video verified alarm system to work for you.